Honing in on the start of the new year, there is still time to get your work out there! Over the next month and a half, there are many contest deadlines approaching. Emerge into Spring on a good note by submitting your art. The following contests are strictly Short Story, and a Poetry list is to follow.
Tips to Submitting Your Writing
- Read Past Winning Entries. Most contests will post previous winning entries to read. Be sure to take the time to do so as some publications and sites may not be a fit for your work.
- Follow Submission Guidelines. Never go over the word limit, even you if you think your story is that good. Anything and everything can be shortened.
- Be Optimistically Realistic. All writers can attest to receiving piles of rejection letters. It’s part of the process. Learn, rewrite, and move forward. You will only improve.
- Ruminate / 5,000 words / Cost $20 / Prize $1,000 / February 15th
- American Short Fiction / 1,000 words / Cost $17 / Prize $1,000 / February 15th
- Subtropics / Any Length / Cost $3 / Prize $1,000 / February 17th-21st
- Stella Kupferberg Memorial / 750 words / Cost $25 / Prize $1,000 / March 1st
- Mistakes Were Made / 20 words / Free / March 1st
- Sonora Review / 5,000 words / Theme “Wonder” / Cost $15 / March 27th
- F(r)iction / 7,500 words / Cost $15 / Prize $300 / March 31st
- Gemini Magazine / Any Length / Prize $1000 / March 31st
- Narrative Magazine / 2,000 words / Cost $27 / Prize $2,500 / March 31st
- An Axe to Grind / 1,000 words / Prize $200 / March 31st